Classics and Archaeology Virtual Museum

The Dr Geoffrey Kaye Collection

Dr Geoffrey Kaye (1903-1986) graduated in 1927, served in the army and taught medicine at the University of Melbourne. He acquired a very large collection of glass, furniture and other decorative art, including some Classical pieces. In 1980 he gave much of his glass to the University (Ernst Matthei Collection, currently in University House). He made another large gift in kind just before his death in 1986.

The Gallery holds a copy of a type-written Register of his collection which he seems to have drawn up himself and later annotated by hand. Section C5 of this register is devoted to Classical objects collected in the Middle East during the war or just before and after it. The three glass objects (c, d, e) are annotated by hand "to U. of M., 1980" and lines ruled through the text of the entry. The other six objects are included in the Kaye 1986 Inventory drawn up at the time of the donation.

These objects seem to have remained unnoticed until the Virtual Museum Project. Records for all nine now include the descriptions found in the Kaye Register. The lekythos has been integrated into the Greek vase collection and studied by Heather Jackson. The other objects could be added to the MU series of artefacts; no evidence to has emerged that they have been studied or published.

Register C5
Object
Accession no.
"Previous" no.
1986 Inventory
a.

Tanagran hydrophoros

1986.0093
MU
101
b.

White-background lekythos

1986.0090
MUV 81
98
c.

Unguentarium (greenish glass)

1980.0089
MU

d.

Bottle (greenish glass)

1980.0090
MU

e.

Unguentarium (blue glass)

1980.0088
MU

f.

Alabastron (bronze)

1986.0091
MU
99
g.

Bronze church-lamp

1986.0092
MU
100
h.

Oinochoe (baluster shape)

1986.0018
MU
11
j.

Bronze arrowhead

1986.0089
MU
97
top of page